Saturday, April 10, 2010

Intuitive eating...

I haven't posted for a few weeks.  Amazing how time flies when you're packing, moving 800 miles, unpacking, organizing, unpacking again, starting new jobs, etc.

And I don't have any fun stories to share yet, but I do have some thoughts.

My first week here, I bought "Intuitive eating."

I'd heard about it several times on the boards.  Decided it was worth a try.  I am now almost done with it, and I am intrigued.

I have been on WW more or less for 9 years.  Considering the fact I am currently at my highest weight, I have obviously not actually been following the plan that entire time.  But it is always on my mind.  ALWAYS.  Every time I pick up a cookie and end up eating ten, my mind is calculating points.  Every time I make popcorn, I think how much healthier it would be with EVOO instead of butter.  And every time I work out, I don't feel like it was worth it unless I burn at least 300 calories.

So this is a whole new concept.  Throw out dieting?  Eat whatever I want, whenever I want?  Sounds amazing.  Also sounds unrealistic. 

Except here's the thing:  it's almost working.  Before I started the book, I bought a pack of mint oreos.  They were gone the next day.  Since I've started reading it and convinced myself I'll try it and really won't go back to WW yet (therefore won't start restricting myself anytime soon), I've managed to leave reeses PB cups, those amazing pink and white frosted animal cookies, PB and cookie dough ice cream, etc.  I haven't binged a single time since I started reading the book.  The real test?  The chocolate-no-bakes.  I ate a couple yesterday, the rest are still in the fridge.  I DID NOT eat the entire batch for the FIRST time in 9 years.

And who knows who long this will last.  Although now there's another catch.  DH and I want to start TTC again, which means I need to get some weight off.  So now that I've experimented, I'm going to try to integrate.  I'm going to go back to meetings.  But I'm also going to try to pay more attention to what I want to eat and honor those cravings so I don't binge as frequently.  And once I get pregnant, I'll start focusing on the intuitive eating again.

Not quite how they want you to do things, but I'm going to make it work.  Because so far both plans have their good points.  We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment