Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ferret escapees!

When I walked into my house today, exhausted after a long day of work, this was the first thing I saw:


Now, for those of you who might not recognize it, this is the classic appearance of a little present left by a small furry animal known as a ferret.  Oh crap.  A ferret got out.

Then I walked into the house a little further and saw this:


This same scene was found in both bathrooms.  More piles of poop were found around the house, such as this one hidden behind the toilet:


I didn't come home at lunch today and it was a long day.  So technically, these piles and messes, along with the rest of the piles, could have been done by one ferret.  Ferrets poop on average every 2 hours, and one ferret can get into a LOT of stuff in a very short amount of time.  To support this theory, I found a ferret as I was walking back to the ferret room.  And this particular ferret, Max, is known for getting into things.  I even found some markers and dog toys where he had stashed them under the dog bed.  Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture.

However, then I got to the ferret room:


Please ignore how messy the floor is.  I've been busy.  However, you can see that they have a lot of room to run, although usually they have even more.  But when I walked into the ferret room this time?  You see on the right of the picture where there's two bins of litter holding the fence against the wall?  The litter bins that weigh about 30 pounds each?  Yes, somehow my one pound ferrets had managed to shove that entire pile away from the wall and escaped.

Oh.  Shit.

I counted ferrets.  I have ten.  I counted three plus the one I was holding.

There are SIX ferrets escaped into my house!  Now this would normally be a problem.  But right now?  It's a HUGE pain in my ass because this is the state of my house:


And a close up to see just how many hiding spots are available:


Now as I've been writing, the dogs have found one more.  But there are still a whole bunch of ferrets around the house, and I have no idea where.

So just in case you ever considered getting  a ferret, keep in mind their super-ferret strength that allows them to move things 30 times their own weight, and the disasters they love to cause.  :)

1 comment:

  1. And I am happy to report that as of now, 3 hours later, every single ferret is present and accounted for, safe back in their cages. :)

    ReplyDelete