Monday, February 8, 2010

It's been awhile...

I've been reading through other blogs, and realized... I haven't posted in almost a year. 11 months. So much for my attempts at being a serious blogger.

The reality is that I've been busy, life has been crazy, and I have to think a lot harder to blog than some of you ladies. I mean, sure, I can ramble on with the best of them. But posting something that is actually entertaining and fun to read? I'm more of the "and I woke up and I went to work and I came home and I made dinner" type of blogger. Being creative and witty is a stretch for me.

But we'll try to get it up and going again. And if no one reads? Well, I probably won't even know.

Jenny's blog gave me the idea that I could be posting tales of my everyday encounters with the animal world. Her stories about c-sections and being an OB are hilarious. They actually make me wonder if I went into the right field, although I know this is mostly the unsatisfied disillusioned mind thinking. Hence the other reason I haven't posted forever. My dislike for North Dakota has become extreme and is affecting most of my thoughts and actions.

But that's a whole other subject with which I won't bore all of you kind enough to read along.

We're pretty slow right now. The highlight of my day today was removing a mass off the rear end of a dog. However, this was nowhere near straight-forward. It was a farm call. Well, a house call, if we had such a thing in our computer. I went out on Friday for a routine nail trim and anal sacs, as this is an older gentleman in a wheelchair and a 110 lb obese husky cross. Much easier for me to make the drive than them.

When I first met the pup, she was excited to see me. Tail wagging, sniffing, licking. Then I swear she saw the syringe in my hand. A switch flipped. She became a 110 lb demon ball of fur. It is only by a miracle my hands escaped without harm. And as her owner was in a wheelchair, I was on my own.

Somehow I managed to get her sedated and start working on her. Then I went around the back end and discovered a mass the size of a walnut. Working out of my personal vehicle over 50 miles from the clinic meant I didn't have a single thing to use for a mass removal. So we scheduled to Monday.

Fast forward to today. I took our tech with me to help. We are admitted to the house, and first thing we see is the owner, butt naked except for a shirt that comes nowhere near covering everything. Okay, avert eyes. Then the dog runs out the door. I'm the only one with boots on so I spend the next few minutes trying to herd her back into the house but unable to use my hands as she thinks they look very tasty. Lovely.

Once we get her in and get her sedated, she sprawls as close to the door as she can. She knows where I need to access, and she is not going to let me near that area, even when she's so out of it she can't even stand. I have to drag the rug underneath her to rotate her. She finally goes to sleep. Then we're confronted with another problem. As I've mentioned repeatedly, she weighs 110 pounds, and she stinks. She's not going on the kitchen table, and there's no other raised surface. So I had one option. I plopped down on the floor and proceeded to do surgery while practically upside down in order to see what I was doing.

Not the most convenient method of mass removal.

And as if she hadn't already made it as difficult as possible? For the life of us, neither one of us could find a vein to give her the reversal and wake her up. Between me and our tech, one of us is almost always guaranteed to find a vein. NOT.TODAY.

Luckily, the dog woke up shortly after, is doing fine, and now it's just a matter of finding out what kind of mass I removed.

Even better? The drifts going across the road hadn't grown so much by the time we drove back that we weren't able to get back to the clinic. Now the drift in front of my garage is a different story, but at least I'm already home. :)

1 comment:

  1. 1. Thanks for writing about me. I'm glad I kind of inspired you to write about your daily doings at work.
    2. I could not do your job. Working on someone who cannot communicate with me would be a big problem.
    3. Sounds like this was quite the task! Glad the dog had you to take care of him.

    ReplyDelete